Jellystone Parks Gear Up For Father’s Day
Father’s Day is fast approaching, and so is the laughter at Jellystone Parks across North America as children prepare to play games with their dads.
“We’re talking pie-in-the-face kinds of games,” said Michele Wisher, vice president of marketing for Leisure Systems Inc., the Milford, Ohio-based company that franchises 82 Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts across the U.S. and Canada.
Indeed, in the pie face game, a question is posed to dad, and if his children correctly guess his response, they get to put a pie in his face. On the other hand, if they guess incorrectly, dad gets to put a pie in his children’s faces.
Different Jellystone Parks offer different types of games and competitive events for Father’s Day weekend.
The pie face game is one of several activities scheduled at the Jellystone Park in Woodridge, N.Y. Other activities include dads-vs.-kids tug-of-war competitions and frozen t-shirt relays.
Here’s a sampling of other activities taking place over Father’s Day at Jellystone Parks across the U.S. and Canada:
• Bloomington, Ind.: Father’s Day weekend is superhero weekend at this park where guests can test out their superpowers in the “Man (or Woman) of Steel training course” then fight off villains at the water balloon faceoff. Kids get in on the action too with a life-sized version of Hungry Hungry Hippos and dunk-a-dad.
• Wisconsin Dells, Wis.: This campground’s activities include a game of slime kickball; a pie eating contest; tie-dye t-shirt making activity; glow-in-the-dark miniature golf; and candy bar bingo.
• Gardiner, N.Y.: This park is planning a Father’s Day scavenger hunt; a dad-vs.= kids root beer chugging competition; a fishing tournament and country line dancing lessons.
• Mexico, N.Y.: Activities at this park include special crafts for dad; a miniature-golf tournament between kids and their dads; and a dad-and-me lookalike contest.
• Mill Run, Pa.: Kids at this park get to “doll up” their dads for the annual Miss Jellystone Park competition. Dads will also get to compete in a variety of recreational games.
• Niagara Falls, Ontario: This Jellystone Park will feature crafts and activities from around the world, including Scottish Highland games, Canadian bobsled races, and sumo wrestling with the bears. There will also be special games and contests for dads.
• North Java, N.Y.: This park is hosting remote-controlled car races. Children will also be able to work with their dads to decorate their unique race car. Other activities include a shaving contest; a barbershop contest; and a father/son/daughter lookalike competition.
• South Haven, Mich.: Father’s Day takes place during pirates week at this campground. Activities include a family pirate costume contest with Yogi Bear as the judge.
• Woodstock, New Brunswick: Father’s Day weekend activities at this park include a “Macho Man Fashion Show” in which men are encouraged to wear interesting pink attire and accessories. Other activities include a husbands-vs.- family tug of war, and a family feud and fiasco game.